Saturday, March 7, 2015

Getting a Job

The job market where I am in the United States is fairly tight--there are few openings in my field and, from what I've heard, there are many applicants for the positions that are open. 

Some people are telling me that I have to network.

They're probably right. I'm definitely poor at networking. The concept even turns me off a little. I just want to be friendly and authentic with everyone I meet. Networking--even if it isn't, in reality, "schmoozing"--it does sound like forcing the relationship beyond what's natural. That isn't so appealing to me. 

In my cover letters, I didn't hide my mistakes or weak points. I was forthright. I like sales--a lot. I used to work in sales, and I understand there's a sales aspect to getting a job. But I'm not that kind of salesperson.

I also submitted applications to companies in Asia, for my other field. I had two interviews already and I'm scheduled for a third. I didn't hide my mistakes or weak points from these employers, but they didn't seem to mind; they seemed receptive to me. 

There's so much here, and there's so much in Asia. If I get a job here, I think I will be happy. If I get a job in Asia, I think I will be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment