Monday, September 22, 2014

Manhunt

My sister's house is right in the heart of the search area for the man who shot the Pennsylvania state troopers. Schools are closed or something, and everyone has been hunkered down in their houses. Roads are closed off, they say; it's hard to go places. Police cars in driveways; helicopters in the sky, etc. 

I sent her a message via Facebook. I'd bring them some groceries or something if I were there--if that's even possible--but, I'm way over here, on the other side of the world, so, there's not much I can do.

Well, keep calm and stoic on, sister.

About six years ago, I visited her. I did lots of long walks while I was there. One day, I walked down into the town where the fugitive is supposedly from. Another time, I went on a six or so hour hike traversing the length of this nearby state park, down a park road to the two-lane highway, then up the highway (which involved stepping over the guard rail every time a car passed, because I don't trust people not to hit me), then back up a smaller road to my sister's house. I remember when I was walking along the highway, how pretty the sky looked above the pine trees and folds of mountain through which the highway threaded itself. 

What struck me most while I was there was how grim everything felt, economically, socially, and individually. 

Things don't have to be like that--at all(!)--but no one imagines anything different. 

Put a cheerful smile on our faces. Turn the music up. Roll up our sleeves. With our can-do good cheer and effort, we could turn this around!

No comments:

Post a Comment